About Your Visit
- Collection of anything, living or non-living, is not permitted on the sanctuary unless it is part of a program with one of our educators.
- Chaperones are asked to participate in monitoring student behavior when groups are visiting Earthplace. This includes modeling appropriate behavior such as staying on the trail, staying with the group, and not using personal cell phones during a program.
Our building is not peanut- or tree nut-free. Peanut and tree nut products may be found in the diets of some Animal Hall residents. Though students will not come in contact with animal diets, they may touch animals who have nuts in their diets. Those with fur, feathers, or dander allergies should also exercise caution. Please contact the program coordinator with any questions, and discuss any students in your group with severe allergies prior to the visit.
We encourage groups to take advantage of the additional features Earthplace has to offer:
- Natureplace is a hands-on nature museum with wildlife dioramas, artifacts, activities, mounts, and information about local animals, plants, and the environment. Suggested 5-to-1 children to adult supervision ratio.
- Animal Hall features a collection of live wildlife, both exotic and domesticated species, including birds, reptiles, and mammals. The outdoor Connecticut Birds of Prey Exhibit features many of the raptor species found in the state — including bald eagles!
- Our 74-acre sanctuary has a trail system through various habitats , including deciduous woodlands, streams, and open fields
- Picnic areas
- The Earthplace museum building is wheelchair accessible. The quarter-mile Wheels in the Woods IV trail is also wheelchair accessible.
Monday – Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Contact the Program Coordinator at 203-557-4400, ext. 107 Tuesday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Be prepared to discuss program choice, available dates, location, number of students, and any specific content areas you would like the program to focus on.
- In case of inclement weather, call Earthplace at 203-557-4400 to confirm that the facility is open and your program will run as scheduled. An announcement on our voicemail system will detail closings or delayed openings.
- Please notify us well in advance if your group is unable to keep a scheduled program date. Schools will be charged a cancellation fee for last minute cancellations (for reasons other than weather conditions).
- Cancelled programs may be re-scheduled depending on the availability of dates.