Weekly Themes Summer 2013
The themes for each week will help guide the teachers in designing special activities relating to the topic to make the camper's experience unique. Books, puzzles, games and crafts for the younger children will all be thematically appropriate. For the older children field trips and activities will enrich the camp weekly experience. Please note that only grades 1-9 participate in "special events" listed in the themes below.
Session A: Go Green (Preschool Ages 3,4, & 5 only)
- Kick off the summer learning all about nature, the world around us, and to how to preserve it. Recycling and renewable energy are some of the things we are going to learn about this week.
Session 1: June 24th- Survivor
- Campers will learn how to survive in the woods. Leaving all technology behind they will discover how to find shelter, water and food. Age appropriate survival skills will build your child's confidence in the natural world. Special event: A giant survival skills game where groups will participate to show off what they learned.
Session 2: July 1st- Photography
- “Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints” This week campers will learn just what makes photographing nature exciting. Campers will be given a disposable camera which they will take home with them. Special event: A presentation of nature photography to show what the professionals can do.
Session 3: July 8th- Space
- This week campers will learn about constellations; how they were named and how people and animals use them to find their way. We will learn about planets, what makes Earth such a great place to live, and what it would take to make other planets habitable. We will also learn all about the exciting things astronauts do. Special event: Field games including "space worm invasion"
Session 4: July 15th- Dinosaurs
- What types of dinosaurs existed? How did they live? What may have happened to them? Can you find any dinosaurs that still exist today? What is a fossil? How did it form? Special event: Games that will test our knowledge of prehistoric times.
Session 5: July 22nd-Safari
- Why does a tiger have stripes and a leopard spots? Where do you go on safari? What tools do you need? Let's find out together! Special Event: Our older campers will create a fantastic safari for the younger kids.
Session 6: July 29th- Ocean
- Here in Westport we have the best of both watery worlds, fresh and salt water. Campers will explore what lives in both habitats. Have you ever done a pond study or a salt water experiment? Here is your chance! Special Event: Water Olympics. Be ready to get wet!
Session 7: August 5th – Birds
- This week is going to the birds. What do different bird songs sound like? What is a birds of prey? Some birds walk, run, swim, dive or fly; find out who does what. Special event: Field games and bird identification scavenger hunt.
Session 8: August 12th- Creepy Crawlies
- What lives in this log? How about under that rock? We will learn about insects and the role they play in our lives. Campers will learn how to identify insects and where to find them. Special event: Let's explore the sanctuary with a giant bug scavenger hunt.
Session 9: (Special Events Week) August 19th _ Go Green
(note this week is not open to Preschool aged children)
- We spent the summer learning all about nature and the world around us, so let’s learn how to preserve it. Recycling and renewable energy are some of the topics we will learn about this week. Special event: Going green games and visit from local renewable energy expert.